Jul 9, 2010

Natural Bug Repellent?

My husband and I thought it would be nice to take a walk by the lake last night since it was still hovering around 75 degrees at 9:00 pm! The night was beautiful, the sun was just starting to set....and then the bugs came out. I was trying to just ignore the lovely little pests but my husband was afraid that in the morning he would look like a hormonal teenager with big red spots all over his face (he has quiet the sense of humour)!
We ended up having to go home earlier then we anticipated.

I just refuse to buy the mosquito spray's that are on the market today...  Many are made with DEET, which work to ward off pests but not something you want in your bloodstream, which is exactly where it ends up after you spray it on your skin.
I came by an article about natural bug spray made by using essential oils...
I was optimistic and eager to make and try my own bug spray, but my husband doubts that essential oils will work to ward off bugs.
So...I am going to use him as a test...since he is doubtful to begin with.

My Natural Bug Repellent:
25-30 drops (total) of essential oil
I am using a mixture of lemon balm (citronella), and lavender
1 cup of witch hazel


Place all ingredients into a spray bottle. Shake well.

I am taking my husband back to the park to check out my natural bug spray...Check back to see if it passed the test!

F.Y.I- If you don’t want to make your own, there are all kinds of natural insect repellents on the market. Burt’s Bees, and Kiss My Face are two companies that make herbal bug sprays that are DEET-free and safe for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment