Jul 14, 2010

Sunny Days, Sunburned Nights!

After the long stretch of rainy winter days here in Seattle, summer is finally here!
I could not resist laying outside Sunday afternoon to catch some rays and get caught up on some reading.
I had no idea how much sun I had gotten until I walked in the door and saw my husbands horrified look.
I was burnt...bad.

I ran to the store to find some aloe and could not find one brand that did not have harmful chemicals in it.
This is crazy I thought! The natural stores were already closed for the evening and I was stuck....
What I did find was aloe juice, and after some research I found that the juice works even better than the gels at the store.

Combine aloe juice with ½ the amount of vitamin E and dab on the sunburn, easy as that!
If you have an aloe plant you can use that as well. Take as many leaves as necessary and refrigerate; peel off top layer of leaves and apply the flesh of the leaf directly to the sunburn.

Other Natural Remedies for Sunburns:

Baths: Add 20 drops each of lavender and chamomile essential oils to a tubful of cool water and soak
Apple cider vinegar: Apply apple cider vinegar to the burn with a cotton ball, or make a cooling compress for a large area to relieve the pain
Lemon water: Mix the juice of three lemons into two cups of cold water and sponge on the sunburn. It will cool the burn, and will promote healing of the skin.
Tea Bags: Wet a tea bag and place it on the sunburned area, or fill a bathtub with cool water and place tea bags into it.
Baking Soda: Pour a cup of baking soda into a lukewarm bath, and soak!
Floral Waters Spray burn with floral waters. Lavender and chamomile are the floral waters I recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment